Sunday, February 08, 2009

I can't think of a good title, so I will go title-less. I have been wanting to write about my experience of going through the CNA program and my clinicals at St Simeons and St John's, so here we go.
I first would like to start with my pre-thoughts to the program. I have to have this course, or something similar, in order to apply for a Nursing program. I am NOT looking forward to it. CNA is a fancy title for someone who gets to do all the crappy (literally speaking) jobs. You clean people, wipe people, move people, feed people, etc. I need to just get this done and over with so I can continue on pursuing my nursing degree.
Now my thoughts during class. The class is in north Tulsa. There was a wide variety of people in the class. There was only 12 people in the class, ranging from pre-nursing students to a lady who talked about shooting at her husband once and then having to take care of her husband's ostomy after she stabbed him. Yikes! To say the least, the people made the class even more interesting. The book work was good and I am usually not one to toot my own horn, but toot toot, the most I missed on any of the test was one. I really enjoyed the class and the people I met.
Now my thoughts during clinicals. The first day was at St Simeons in the "Memory Center" which houses residents with Alzheimers. I was really nervous and was on the edge of being totally scared out of my mind. The class had taught me a lot, but reading something and actually seeing it with your own eyes is totally different. These Alzheimer patients I had read about now had names, had families, had fear in their eyes, these were not patients these were people. I was immeditatley put to work. Changing sheets, I can do this. The CNA working was busy giving baths in the shower room, but I know I can do this. I begin to change the sheets and "David" comes in. "Sorry, sorry, Christmas, ummm, sorry." My book knowledge comes handy. "David, are you thirsty?" "No." "Are you hungry?" "No." I really don't want to ask, but I know I must, "Do you need to go to the bathroom?" "Yes." (Side note, when a patient with Alzheimer talks incoherently you are suppose to ask direct questions, Are you thirsty, etc.) My first real experience with helping someone go to the bathroom. Luckily as I am guiding him, the CNA comes out and helps me. Later that day, I helped feed the patients, gave a bath, and interactied with the residents. The day was surreal and emotionally was more than I could have ever expected. I cried the whole way home. Boo-hooed cried. The rest of the clinicals were at St John Hospital.
After clinicals thoughts. It was a life changer, the whole class. I am so glad I took it. And I would recommend everyone to take it.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Mom can now rest assured that at least one child will know how to bathe her when she no longer can;) Glad you took the class and not me. . .this now means YOU will be taking Mom in! HA!